By Andy Mozenter
Note: On Saturday at the retreat, Andy Mozenter will be joined by Kathy Minardi to facilitate a dynamic and “lively” case-study simulation based on Barry Oshry’s work on Systems Theory. Below is a sneak peek of the workshop.
The Organization Workshop gets to the heart of partnership in organization life—why partnership is critical to organizational success, what gets in the way of it developing, and the role of leaders in making it happen. Here, participants are given a whole new lens for seeing, understanding and moving past the roadblocks to success. They are dropped into roles as top executives, middle managers, workers and customers interacting in a fast-paced environment, experiencing situations that regularly occur in these positions. Very quickly, it all becomes real—just like what they face day-to-day.
In combination with these engaging, high-energy activities, there are practical strategic frameworks based on the work of Barry Oshry. These frameworks help participants make sense of what they’re learning and enable them to connect to experiences in their own organizations. The application activities help keep the lessons alive once participants are back at work.
The total immersion experience gets participants thinking in their heads and feeling in their guts, producing a lasting impact that carries over to all the critical change and growth initiatives they are involved in.
At the Organization Workshop, participants :
- Focus on systemic conditions rather than personalities
- Identify predictable, dysfunctional patterns and how to avoid them
- Deal with the root, not the symptom, of the problem
- Clearly see the underlying issues standing in the way of success
- Gain an appreciation for the difficult issues people deal with at all levels of the organization
- Learn strategies for building successful partnerships that make successful organizations
Throughout the Organization Workshop participants are taught vital new perspectives about organizational life. But the real value is putting that learning into action. They walk away energized, motivated and better able to successfully lead their organization.
- They’ll be more in touch with issues others in the organization are facing and better able to deal with them constructively
- They’ll work more effectively up, down, and across organizational lines
- They’ll have the ability to break down bureaucratic barriers to create productive new synergies
- They’ll be able to provide leadership that addresses issues systemically rather than personally
In short, they are significantly more primed to help your organization succeed. They better understand system dynamics. They have frameworks for applying their learning. And, most important, their learning will stay with them for years to come. So investments in this understanding will accelerate the impact of your leadership development initiatives.
Andrew Mozenter is the Founder and President of Concentrics. He has been providing organizational development and human resource consulting services to corporations in the U.S. and Europe, to schools, and small businesses since 1983. Andy consults to major corporations in pharmaceuticals, health care, technology, law, banking and education. He also has worked extensively with educational institutions and small businesses.